Our goal is to share noteworthy information in matters relating to labor, employment, and employee benefits law. The editor and contributors of the Employment Matters blog are attorneys from Mintz Levin’s Employment, Labor & Benefits practice, dedicated to providing information that is most likely to be pertinent and interesting to our busy readers.
In our legal practice, we focus on providing clients with a consolidated approach to their complex human resource and employment law issues. By working together, our team brings diverse capabilities to help organizations maximize one of their most important assets — their employees — while minimizing risks.
A versatile law firm with more than 450 attorneys and bench strength across many industries, Mintz Levin is the counsel of choice for clients confronting complex and sometimes unprecedented challenges. Experienced, proactive, and strategic, our multidisciplinary legal teams help clients identify opportunities and move forward successfully.
From recent legal developments to current trends in employment and compensation practices, Mintz Levin’s attorneys provide clients with informed advice that can help resolve thorny issues and put them back on track. The counseling and advice we provide, and programs we help implement, reflect the best practices in dealing with an ever-changing and challenging landscape of statutes, regulations, and court decisions.
Mintz Levin’s clients represent a broad cross-section of the business community, encompassing a wide spectrum of industries including manufacturing, retail and consumer products, information technology, energy and clean technology, life sciences, health care, education, hospitality, financial services, construction, immigration, and professional services.
Because disputes can be expensive, we put a premium on helping clients resolve disputes quickly and cost effectively through practical and creative solutions. If a dispute reaches litigation, winning early and decisively can translate into saving thousands of dollars and dozens of hours in management time.
Some matters on which we regularly assist clients include:
- Assessing and mitigating risks, including those relating to wage/hour and discrimination laws
- Drafting human resources policies and procedures such as those relating to discrimination and harassment, leaves of absence, drug and alcohol testing, medical examinations, workplace conduct, progressive discipline and dispute resolution, and other policies that protect business prerogatives without creating unintended legal rights for employees
- Providing advice on all phases of the employment “life cycle,” including recruiting, hiring, promotion, discipline, termination, and benefit entitlements
- Preparing and maintaining qualified and other retirement, welfare, and benefit plans and programs
- Implementing equity and other compensation arrangements
- Drafting critical employment documents such as employment agreements, offer letters, and confidentiality, non-compete, and separation agreements
- Representing employers in union matters, including union avoidance, collective-bargaining negotiations, disputes before the NLRB, and contract administration
- Enforcing non-compete restrictions and trade secret protections
- Providing employment, labor, and benefits-related due diligence for transactions
- Responding to Department of Labor, EEOC, OSHA, and other government agency inquiries and investigations
- Defending discrimination, wage hour, and other allegations by employees
We also provide training, conduct audits, hold briefings and seminars, and work to implement personalized policies tailored to each client to help navigate all of the employment issues and challenges they face day to day.